Comfort food seems to be a staple during this time of isolation, but too much comfort can lead to a sweatpants-only wardrobe if you aren’t careful 😉 This recipe alleviates some of the carbs without sacrificing the comfort…and it is keto-friendly for all you brave souls trying to maintain this lifestyle while staying at home.
This is an adaptation of Valerie Bertinelli’s rollatini recipe.
- 2-3 large zucchini (could also use summer squash or eggplant)
- 1 cup ricotta (I like whole milk, but if you are watching calories, opt for skim)
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 large egg
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I used Classico Fire Roasted Pepper and Garlic )
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Trim the ends off of the zucchini and slice lengthwise on a mandoline (If you do not have a mandoline, you can hand slice…just try to approximate thickness of a lasagna noodle). You can quick blanch these if you want them more pliable, but I used them raw.
- Stir the ricotta, basil, oregano, and 3/4 cup mozzarella together in a bowl with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Beat in the egg to incorporate.
- Saute spinach and garlic with olive oil over medium heat until spinach wilts
- Lay the zucchini slices out on a work surface. Spread a thin layer of ricotta filling on each slice, spoon some of spinach mixture on top of cheese and roll the zucchini up. Meanwhile, pour half of your jar of sauce in a 13×9 baking dish. Arrange zucchini roll-ups seam-side down, over the sauce. Repeat until all zucchini are in pan.
- Spread rest of sauce over top zucchini and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan over top. Bake until the center is bubbling and the cheese is golden in spots, 20 to 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Prepare for the ooey-gooey, deliciousness- you won’t even miss the pasta!
Stay Safe and Cook On!
Other Posts in the Quarantine Series:
- Classic Posole
- Simple Sticky Buns
- Easy Mu Shu Pork
- Baking with Booze
- Easy Pasta & Meatballs
- Lime Berry Blast Scones
- One Pan Enchiladas Rojo
- One Pan Enchiladas Verde
- Guide to Professional Chefs social media cooking shows & Pantry Stockers
- Roasted Pork al’Diavolo with Rutabaga Mash
- Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Roasted Shrimp & Orzo Salad
- Easy Apple Cake
- Cookies & Curry in a Hurry
- Baking with Booze
- Best Caprese Salad Ever