You know the sidekick never gets enough credit. It is always about the hero, the main attraction. I am here to give a little love to sides. We FINALLY got our grill assembled this week, so it was the perfect time for some recipe testing. First up is a raw salad that everybody I serve it to, loves! I got the original idea from Bon Appetit’s version found here. It is adaptable as far as which veg you use as long as they hold up well to a vinaigrette. I know there are still lots of food shortages with meat and fresh produce so, feel free to adapt with what you have. Gotta be flexible during a pandemic. This variation uses broccoli and brussels sprouts, but I have also used asparagus, snow peas, cabbage, and basically everything green 🙂
1 head of broccoli (you can use the stalks, but I prefer just the crowns)
6 ounces brussels sprouts (I just buy one container and don’t worry about size)
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets (I always include, but tell nobody, but it is optional, especially if you want a vegetarian option)
4 ounces shredded or grated Parmesan
¼ cup olive oil
3 tblsp fresh lemon juice ( I juice 2-3 lemons)
Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
**If you don’t have or don’t like lemon juice in your dressing, you could sub red wine vinegar
- Set up your food processor with the slicing attachment (You can do this by hand, but it is more labor-intensive).
- Feed the broccoli florets into food processor until all are thinly sliced. Next repeat with the brussels sprouts.
- Combine broccoli and brussels sprouts in a large bowl and toss with ½ tsp. salt. Let sit 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Rinse food processor and attach regular chopping blade. Pulse anchovies until chopped. Add garlic, 1/2 ounce parmesan, lemon juice, and olive oil to food processor bowl. Pulse until dressing emulsifies. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over slaw and toss until coated. Add remaining parmesan and toss once more. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Look for more Sensational Sides this week!
Stay Safe and Cook On!
Other Posts in the Quarantine Series:
- Cobblering Time
- Harissa, Gremolata, and Whole Roasted Fish
- Keto-Friendly Zucchini Rollatini
- Simple Sticky Buns
- Classic Posole
- Baking with Booze
- Easy Mu Shu Pork
- Easy Pasta & Meatballs
- Lime Berry Blast Scones
- One Pan Enchiladas Rojo
- One Pan Enchiladas Verde
- Guide to Professional Chefs social media cooking shows & Pantry Stockers
- Roasted Pork al’Diavolo with Rutabaga Mash
- Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Roasted Shrimp & Orzo Salad
- Easy Apple Cake
- Cookies & Curry in a Hurry
- Baking with Booze
- Best Caprese Salad Ever